An Introduction to Cariyapitaka: The Basket of Conduct
By Dr. Ari Ubeysekara
Introduction
Throughout the ministry of forty five years from enlightenment at the age of thirty five to passing away at the age of eighty, Lord Gautama Buddha, who lived and preached in India during the sixth and fifth centuries BC, travelled from place to place mainly in North Eastern India, teaching the path out of suffering to a diverse range of people. At the first Buddhist council which was held three months following the passing away (Parinibbāna) of the Buddha, teachings that were delivered by the Buddha to various audiences were categorised into the now well-known Pali Canon consisting of the three baskets (Tripitaka). The teachings of the Gautama Buddha which is believed to consist of around 84000 items are contained in the three baskets.
- Basket of the disciplinary rules for the monastic community (vinaya pitaka)
- Basket of the discourses (sutta pitaka)
- Basket of the Buddha’s higher teaching (abhidhamma pitaka)
The basket of the discourses (sutta pitaka) consists of:
- Collection of long discourses (dīgha nikāya)
- Collection of middle length discourses (majjhima nikāya)
- Collection of connected discourses (samyutta nikāya)
- Collection of numerical discourses (anguttara nikāya)
- Collection of minor discourses (khuddaka nikāya) (1)
Collection of minor discourses (khuddaka nikāya) consist of 15 books of a variety of small discourses and others. The fifteenth of the 15 books is the Cariyapitaka. The other books are: Khuddakapātha, Dhammapada, Udāna, Itivuttaka, Sutta nipāta, Vimānavatthu, Petavatthu, Thera-gāthā, Theri-gāthā, Jātaka stories, Patisambhidā magga, Niddesa, Apadāna and Buddhavamsa. Similar to Apadāna and Buddhavamsa, Cariyapitaka is considered to be a late addition to the collection of the minor discourses.
“Cariyapitaka” in the Pali language, “Cariya” meaning “conduct” and “pitaka” meaning “basket” is translated as the “basket of conduct”. It has also been translated as the basket of the meritorious acts. Similar to a few other books in the Khuddaka Nikāya such as the Dhammapada, Cariyapitaka is also composed in verse form and contains thirty five accounts of the Lord Gautama Buddha’s former lives as a Buddha aspirant (Bodhisatta). As a Buddha aspirant, ten wholesome qualities known as perfections (pārami) had to be cultivated and fulfilled from the time the initial vow was taken to become a Sammā Sambuddha in a future life time, and the verses indicate how those perfections were cultivated. The accounts given in the Cariyapitaka are the same as those given in another book of the Khuddaka Nikāya known as the Jātaka stories, which contains around 547 previous life stories, many of them under the same titles.
According to the Buddhist commentaries, the Buddha is believed to have preached the Cariyapitaka at the Nigrodhārāma monastery in Kapilavatthu, following a request by Arahant Sāriputta, the chief disciple. It is said that Arahant Mahinda, who took Theravada Buddhism to Ceylon (Sri Lanka) in the third century BC, preached the Cariyapitaka to an audience at the park named Nandanavana, Anuradhapura, soon after his arrival there.
A commentary to the Cariyapitaka has been written by Āchariya Dhammapāla. The Cariyapitaka has been translated by B.C. Law as “The collection of the ways of conduct”, in Minor Anthologies of the Pali Canon, Volume lll, 1st edition in 1938. A second edition named “Basket of conduct” in Minor Anthologies lll, translated by I. B. Horner was published in 1975, by the Pali Text Society, Bristol (2).
Content of Cariyapitaka
The thirty five stories of the Cariyapitaka are divided into three divisions called the Vagga’s, the first two divisions with ten stories each, while there are fifteen stories in the third division. The ten stories of the first division named “Dāna pāramitā” deal with the first perfection of giving (dāna). The second division named “Sīla pāramitā” deal with the perfection of morality (sīla) while the third division named “Nekkhamma pāramitā” deal with the perfections of renunciation (nekkhamma pāramitā), resolute determination (aditthāna pāramitā), truth (sacca pāramitā), loving kindness (mettā pāramitā) and equanimity (upekhā pāramitā). The three remaining perfections of wisdom (paññā pāramitā), effort (vīriya pāramitā) and patience (khanti pāramitā) are briefly stated in a verse at the end, with no related stories. The number of verses in each story varies from one verse to fifty eight verses.
Division One: Perfection of Giving (Dāna pāramitā)
There are ten stories in division one, in which the Buddha has stated the deeds carried out in ten previous births to cultivate the perfection of giving (dāna).
1. Akitti cariya, consisting of 10 verses.
I was an ascetic named Akitti living in a large forest. The Sakka visited three times in the guise of a brahmin carrying a bowl and stood at my door. I offered him the leaves that I had gathered with no salt or oil, and turned my food bowl upside down not to collect anymore. I made the offering not expecting any gain or fame, but only to aspire omniscience.
2. Sankha cariya, consisting of 9 verses.
I was a brahmin named Sankha and was on my way to the port to cross the ocean. I saw a Pacceka Buddha walking on a desert path which was rough and hot. I took off my sandals and offered them and a sunshade to the Pacceka Buddha. I made the offering to fulfil the perfection of giving.
3. Kurudhamma cariya, consisting of 8 verses.
I was a king named Dhananjaya in the city of Indapatta. Brahmins from the Kingdom of Kālinga, who were experiencing a drought and a shortage of food, approached me and asked for the auspicious elephant named Naga. When I gave them the elephant, my ministers asked me why I gave away the elephant. I said: I will give away my kingdom and even my body to attain omniscience.
4. Mahā Sudassana cariya, consisting of 9 verses.
I was a powerful, wheel turning king named Mahā Sudassana in the city of Kusavati. I had hundreds of places ready to donate whatever asked for by anyone and proclaimed it three times a day. I donated food, drinks, garlands, ointments, sandals and parasols, expecting nothing in return, but only for the sake of self-awakening.
5. Mahā Goviṅda cariya, consisting of 3 verses.
I was a brahmin named Mahā Govinda, who was the priest to seven kings in seven kingdoms. I donated whatever offerings I received from the seven kingdoms for the sake of Omniscience.
6. Nimirāja cariya, consisting of 5 verses.
I was the great king named Nimi in the city of Mithila. I built four halls for the purpose of donating to beasts, birds, men and so forth. I kept donating food, drinks, clothes, beds and many other things for the sake of self-awakening.
7. Candakumāra cariya, consisting of 6 verses.
I was a prince named Canda, the son of Ekarāja in the city of Pupphāvati. I did not eat or drink even up to five or six nights for the sake of making an offering to a person worthy of offerings. I gave gifts life after life, for the sake of self-awakening.
8. Sivirāja cariya, consisting of 16 verses.
I was a noble warrior named Sivi in the city of Aritta. I thought to myself, there is no human gift that I have not given and if someone asked for my eyes, I will gift even my eyes. The Sakka came in the guise of an old, ill and blind man and asked for an eye. I was filled with excitement and enthusiasm and asked my physician named Sivaka to remove my eyes and offered them to the blind old man for the sake of self-awakening.
9. Vessantara cariya, consisting of 58 verses.
I was named Vessantara, the son of Phusati and Sanjaya. During the pregnancy, my mother had offered gifts to all sorts of people and as an eight year old boy, I thought of gifting even my body. When I was approached by the brahmins from Kalinga, where there was a drought and a shortage of food to ask for the auspicious elephant, I gave it away. The citizens became angry about me giving away the auspicious elephant and banished me from the kingdom. I made a great gift before leaving and gave away the chariot drawn by four horses. I lived in a hermitage on a mountain with my wife Maddi and the two children Jāli and Kanhajinā. I even donated my two children to a Brahmin and Maddi to another Brahmin who was the Sakka in disguise. I gave away who was dear to me as Omniscience was dear to me.
10. Sasa pandita cariya, consisting of 19 verses.
I was a hare in the forest, instructing my friends to practise giving, observe precepts and to do meritorious deeds. Reflecting on what I could give, I thought to myself; if someone asked for food, I will offer myself as food. Knowing my intention, the Sakka came disguised as a brahmin and asked for food. I said: “I will give a gift that has never been given before. Light a fire and I will jump into it to roast myself for you to eat”. After shaking my body to get rid of any living creatures, I jumped into the fire and felt as if it was cold water.
Division two: Perfection of Morality (Sīla pāramitā)
11. Matiposaka cariya, consisting of 10 verses.
I was an elephant lord in the forest supporting my mother and in relation to my virtue, there was no one like me on this earth. One forester informed the king about me as an elephant suitable for the king, who then sent an elephant tamer to catch me. He held me by my trunk and I could have crushed him to death. But, I let him catch me for the sake of fulfilling the perfection of morality.
12. Bhūridatta cariya, consisting of 9 verses.
I was Bhūridatta with great Psychic powers. I laid down on an anthill with the wish; if anyone wants any of my body parts, let them take it away. The ungrateful Alampana caught me and put me into a basket, crushed down with his hand and made me perform. I was not angry for fear of breaking my Sīla.
13. Campeyya nāga cariya, consisting of 6 verses.
I was Campeyyaka with great Psychic powers, but practising moral virtue. A snake charmer caught me and made me perform at the royal gateway. I could have reduced him to ashes, but I performed obediently not to fall away from my morality.
14. Cullabodhi cariya, consisting of 11 verses.
I and my brahmin wife went forth having cut all our attachments and by walking arrived in Banaresi. As we lived in the royal garden, one day the king saw my wife and asked me whether she was my wife. I said no but that she is one of the same ascetic dispensation. The king took her away and put her in the royal apartment. As she was being taken away, anger arose in my mind but, I did not let it grow due to my vow of morality.
15. Mahisarāja cariya, consisting of 11 verses.
I was a strong large buffalo in the forest. As I laid down on a favourable place, an evil and foul monkey came and urinated and defecated over me four times. Then a Yakka who saw my distress, told me to kill the monkey. I told him, if I get angry with the monkey, I will be more degraded than the monkey. Death is better than injuring another even for the sake of my life.
16. Rurumigarāja cariya, consisting of 12 verses.
I was a deer king named Ruru, maintain highest morality and living on the bank of the Ganges river. A man who was terrified of his creditors, jumped into the river screaming and through pity, sacrificing my life I jumped in pulled him out. I told him not tell anybody about me when he returned to the city. When he went back, he told about me for money and brought the king with him. When the king heard what I had done for the man, the king wanted to kill him. But, I stopped it and substituted myself in his place to guard my morality for the sake of self-awakening.
17. Mātanga cariya, consisting of 6 verses.
I was a matted hair ascetic named Mātanga. Another brahmin saw my hermitage and cursed me for my head to be split. If I had got angry for that, I would not have protected my morality.
18. Dhamma devaputta cariya, consisting of 8 verses.
I was a great Yakkha named Dhamma with Psychic powers and a large following. I was compassionate to the whole world and travelled helping the others. An evil Yakkha was travelling and spreading evil ways at the same time and we met face to face. Without getting angry, I gave away the path to protect my morality. He was swallowed up by the earth.
19. Alinasattu cariya, consisting of 11 verses.
I was Alinasattu of great morality and was the son of King Jayadissa in the city of Kampila. While he was deer hunting, my father was caught by a man eater. Having promised to return, my father came and asked me to look after the city as he was going back. I went in my father’s place and approached the man eater with loving kindness. I asked him to light a fire so that I can jump into it for him to eat. I did not guard my life for the sake of morality and the man eater gave up his habit forever.
20. Sankhapāla cariya, consisting of 7 verses.
I was a king of Nāgās named Sankhapāla with great Psychic powers. I lived at a cross road on a highway and was prepared to offer my body to whoever wanted it. Some hunter boys came, pierced my nostrils, tail and the backbone and carried me on a pole. I could have destroyed them but, for the sake of the perfection of morality, I did not get angry.
Division three; Perfection of Renunciation (Nekkhaṃṃa pāramitā)
21. Yudhanjaya cariya, consisting of 6 verses.
I was the king’s son named Yudhanjaya. I was thrilled when I saw a dew drop falling down in the warmth of the sun. I asked the parents for permission to go forth, but they and the citizens wanted me to look after the kingdom. While they were all lamenting, I went forth without any expectation. I did not dislike my parents or the citizens, but I gave up the kingdom for the sake of Omniscience.
22. Somanassa cariya, consisting of 16 verses.
I was Somanassa, the king’s son in the city of Indappata. An ascetic who was an imposter was the king’s favourite. When the king had to go away to attend to a war, I was asked to attend to the ascetic. When I called him a householder, he got angry and threatened to banish me. He got the king to make an order to kill me and I requested to see the king before I was killed. When I spoke to the king, I was able to bring him under my influence. The king apologised and offered the kingdom to me. I refused it and went into homelessness as Omniscience was more important to me.
23. Ayoghāra cariya, consisting of 10 verses.
I was Ayoghāra, the son of the king of Kasi. I grew up in an iron house with no light from the sun or the moon. The king wanted me to take over the whole kingdom, but I rejected it as I was seeking where there is no death. While the people were wailing, I went into the forest. I gave up the kingdom, as my Omniscience was more important to me.
24. Bhisa cariya, consisting of 8 verses.
I was the first born son of a brahmin family with a sister and seven brothers. I did not enjoy having sensual pleasures with my friends. When they asked me why, I told them that I did not like the household life and that I delighted in renunciation. When the friends informed my parents about it, they also wanted to renounce. So, I, the parents, sister and seven brothers, all went into the forest.
25. Sonapandita cariya, consisting of 6 verses.
I was born in a high, wealthy family in the city of Brahmavaddhana. Having seen manifold evil in the world, I was waiting to go into the forest. I rejected my relatives’ request to enjoy the sense pleasures and informed them about my desire for renunciation. Finally, I, my brother Nanda, and the parents gave up our possessions and all went into the forest.
The Perfection of Resolute Determination (Adhitthāna pāramitā)
26. Temiyapandita cariya, consisting of 19 verses.
I was the son of the king of Kāsi, named Mugapakkha, also known as Temiya. I was the only male child and was brought up by father under a white sunshade held over my bed. A terrible dread for the sun shade arose in me and wanted to get rid of it. A deity, who was a former relative, advised me to pretend to be deaf, dumb and a cripple which I did until I was sixteen years old. Then I was designated as an inauspicious person and was ordered to be buried. I did not break my resolute determination for the sake of Omniscience.
The Perfection of Truth (Sacca pāramitā)
27. Kapirāja cariya, consisting of 4 verses.
I was a monkey living in a cliff on a river bank harassed by a crocodile. I had no opportunity to go to the other bank. Once, the crocodile asked me to go with him to the other bank and I said I am coming. Stepping on to his head, I got to the other bank. I acted according to my word and that was my perfection of truth.
28. Sacca savhayapandita cariya, consisting of one verse.
I was the ascetic named Sacca. I protected the world by means of truth and made the people united.
29. Vattapotaka cariya, consisting of 11 verses.
I was a young quail in Magadha. I was very small and my mother fed me with food brought in her beak. Every year, there was a fire in the jungle during the hot season. In one fire, my parents got frightened and left leaving me behind. I had no physical strength to go anywhere. So, I made an asseveration of truth that: There was no one in the world equal to me in truth, and the great fire drew back.
30. Maccharāja cariya, consisting of 9 verses.
I was a king of the fish in a large lake where the water dries up in the hot season. The crows and vultures will come and eat the fish and I was thinking how to protect them. I made an asseveration of truth and immediately it started raining.
31. Kanhadīpāyana cariya, consisting of 13 verses.
I was a seer named Kanhadīpāyana, living in my hermitage with a dissatisfied mind for more than fifty years. A brahmin friend visited me with his wife and son and while the son was playing with a ball, he was bitten by a snake and fell to the ground. Seeing the parents in distress, I made an asseveration of truth. The boy got up in good health due to the power of my asseveration of truth that there was no one equal to me in truth.
32. Sutasoma cariya, consisting of 6 verses.
I was Sutasoma, lord of the earth. I was caught by a man eater. I remembered a promise that I had made to a certain Brahmin and the man eater let me go with the promise that I will return. Having given up the kingdom and the wealth to the brahmins, I returned to the man eater to sacrifice my life. There was no one to equal me in truth. This was my perfection of truth.
The Perfection of Loving Kindness (Mettā pāramitā)
33. Suvannasama cariya, consisting of 3 verses.
Created by the Sakka, I was Sāma in the jungle and brought the lions and tigers to loving kindness. I lived in the jungle surrounded by all types of animals. By the power of loving kindness, I was not frightened of anyone and no one was frightened of me.
34. Ekarāja cariya, consisting of 5 verses.
I was widely famous Ekarāja who governed the world in morality. As I was governing in kindness and generosity, Dabbasena invaded my city. Having taken possession of the kingdom, the inner city, dependents of the king, the armed forces and the people, I was buried in a pit. I practised loving kindness and there is no one equal to me in loving kindness.
The Perfection of Equanimity (Upekhā pāramitā)
35. Mahālomahamsa cariya, consisting of 4 verses.
I was lying down leaning on skeletal bones in a cemetery. A group of unruly boys came and showed insulting behaviour to me while others brought me food, garlands and perfumes. I was equanimous with kindness and no anger to both who brought me unhappiness and happiness. That was my perfection of equanimity.
At the end of the Cariyapitaka, there are ten concluding verses in which the Buddha has briefly stated how the ten perfections of giving (dāna), morality (sīla), renunciation (nekkhamma), wisdom (paññā), effort (vīriya), patience (khanti), determination (adhitthāna), truthfulness (sacca), loving kindness (mettā) and equanimity (upekhā) were cultivated in the past lives in order to become the Sammā Sambuddha in this life. In the final verses, the Buddha has admonished the disciples to cultivate the Noble Eight-fold Path with diligence which is the advice of the Buddhās.
Cariyapitaka, the fifteenth book of the Khuddka Nikāya, contains 35 stories in verse in which the Lord Gautama Buddha has stated how the ten perfections were cultivated in order to become a Sammā Sambuddha in this life time. Of the three divisions, the ten stories of the division one contains stories related to the perfection of giving while the ten stories of the division two relate to the perfection of morality. Fifteen stories of the division three deal with the perfections of renunciation, determination, truthfulness, loving kindness and equanimity. The remaining three perfections of wisdom, effort and patience are only mentioned in passing in the concluding verses with no associated stories to indicate how they were fulfilled. In the translation by B. C. Law, 34 stories have been traced back to the Jātaka stories while the remaining story of Mahā Govinda appears in the Mahā Govinda sutta of the Dīgha Nikāya (collection of the Buddha’s long discourses) (3).
References
- Webb, Russell 1975, ‘An Analysis of the Pali Canon’, Wheel Publication No: 217/218/219/220, Buddhist Publication Society, Kandy, Sri Lanka.
- I. B. Horner 1975, “Basket of conduct” in Minor Anthologies lll, Pali Text Society, Bristol. https://www.buddhasasana.net/cloud/Books/Horner-The-Basket-of-Conduct-Cariyapitaka.pdf
- B.C. Law 1938, “The collection of the ways of conduct”, in Minor Anthologies of the Pali Canon, Volume lll, 1st edition. https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.135860
End.